One third of all food produced globally is never eaten.
Meanwhile 800 million people go to bed hungry every night. That is 1 in 9 people on the planet who are starving or malnourished. Each and every one of them could be sufficiently fed on less than a quarter of the food that is wasted in the USA, UK and Europe each year.
Households are responsible for
60-70% of global food waste.
1. Improper Storage
This leads to bacteria and mold growth.The food is naturally decomposing and spoils, Which results in a food waste.
Avoid over-cooking. It happens usually when you’re more hungry than usual and you end up cooking more than you actually need. Also, in case of cooking for more than 3 people, you should be aware of an average quantity that they can probably eat together.
3. Large Servings
Serving too big portions is a common mistake in many households. Put smaller portions on the plate and if you’re still hungry just refill!
4. Eliminating Ugly Food
“Imperfect” products are often rejected by grocery shops,labeled as “not meeting the cosmetic standards”, which makes it around 40% of total food waste! It’s just imperfect, not bad or unhealthy…
5. BuyingToo Much
Try not to buy too much. Plan your meals ahead and never go to the shop with an empty stomach! At the end of a day, excess food usually ends up in trash.
Some Global Facts About Food Waste
How To Fight Food
Share your food!
- You can either donate your surplus food, or sell it to anyone living nearby by listing it on the PlateHero free food section.
- Your food will end up in someone’s tummy and you will get their blessing.
- Not only that, we will reward you with exciting coupons and plate points to order different delicious meals at PlateHero.
Become an Ambassador!
- Join our Ambassadors Program and help us reach out to more people by spreading the word on social media.
- Collect surplus food from the shops, restaurants or dumpster diving and donate it to people in need or food banks!
- Choose your mission, become our partner in fighting food waste and a role model for thousands of others.